On Tuesday, October 15, the Vox Media Podcast Network hosted its first Upfront event in New York for an evening of impactful conversations, new show announcements, a live recording of Pivot with Kara Swisher and Scott Galloway, and more.
Marty Moe, President of Vox Media Studios kicked off the event, which was hosted by Today, Explained’s, Sean Rameswaram and featured conversations with hosts from across the Vox Media Podcast Network, including Arielle Duhaime- Ross, Dieter Bohn, Ezra Klein, Jane Coaston, Jason Del Rey, Jillian Weinberger, Peter Kafka, Kara Swisher, and Scott Galloway.
Attendees of The Lineup heard from:
- Marty Moe, President of Vox Media Studios, who discussed the rapid expansion and ongoing growth of the Vox Media Podcast Network, as well as a preview of what we’re looking forward to in 2020.
- Edwin Wong, SVP of Insights and Innovation at Vox Media, who shared insights on “How the Vox Media Podcast Network is Engaging with Audiences”.
- Sean Rameswaram, host of Today, Explained, who moderated panel with Jane Coaston, senior correspondent at Vox and co-host of The Weeds, and Jillian Weinberger, host of The Impact Season 3.
- Arielle Duhaime- Ross, host of Reset, who moderated panel with Jason Del Rey, senior commerce correspondent at Recode and host of Land of the Giants: The Rise of Amazon (S01); Dieter Bohn, executive editor at The Verge and host of Land of the Giants Season 2; and Peter Kafka and Rani Molla, senior correspondent and data reporter at Recode, respectively, and hosts of Land of the Giants Season 3.
- Kara Swisher and Scott Galloway took the stage for a live Pivot the biggest tech and business news of the week including Facebook’s video fine, Mark Zuckerberg’s dinners with conservative leaders, and more, as well as their wins and fails of the week.
See below for key takeaways from The Lineup.
The Vox Media Podcast Network is one of the largest, fastest-growing, and most topically diverse collections of high quality podcasts in the world, featuring more than 200 active shows spanning news, tech, business, food, and culture, and a lineup of dynamic hosts including Kara Swisher, Scott Galloway, Ezra Klein, Sean Rameswaram, Matt Yglesias, Arielle Duhaime-Ross, Avery Trufelman, Nilay Patel, Anil Dash, and more.
In 2019, the Vox Media Podcast Network has earned widespread recognition for its new shows and exponential growth. The New York Time’s described it as a “podcast empire.” PrimeTime with Emily VanDerWerff was named one of the 10 best pop culture podcasts by Vulture, which also named Vox’s The Weeds one of the top ten news and politics podcasts of all time. Nice Try! by Curbed was named one of the best podcasts of the year by Apple Podcasts. The Verge’s Why’d You Push That Button?, and Vox’s Today, Explained, Switched on Pop and The Impact were all winners in this year’s People’s Choice Podcast Awards.
No One In The Space Is Better Equipped To Achieve Engagement And Action For Brands Than The Vox Media Podcast Network.
Edwin Wong, Vox Media’s SVP of Insights and Innovation, shared an illuminating presentation on exactly how the Vox Media Podcast Network is engaging with audiences.
No one in the space is better equipped to achieve engagement and action for brands than Vox Media Podcasting Network. As revealed at The Line Up, a night of exciting news and announcements, we’re one of the fastest-growing podcast networks in the world and we continue to see our audience consumption grow by more than 100% year-over-year.
What’s responsible for this success? Three key developments, which Edwin covered on stage:
Expanding ongoing shows that people love like Recode Decode with Kara Swisher and The Ezra Klein Show
- Launching new shows like Today, Explained with Vox’s Sean Rameswaram and Pivot with Kara Swisher and NYU professor Scott Galloway
- Our willingness to explore new narrative franchises like Nice Try! Utopian With Avery Trufelman and Land of the Giants: The Rise of Amazon with Recode’s Jason Del Rey
The Vox Media Podcast Network will continue to launch new shows with original formats, as seen with the launch of Ezra Klein’s new show ‘Impeachment, Explained’ live this Saturday, October 19, and publishing every Saturday.
With fan favorite shows including The Ezra Klein Show, The Weeds, and Today, Explained, Vox is the destination for understanding the biggest news in politics and policy heading into the 2020 election and beyond. Expert voices like Ezra Klein, Sean Rameswaram, Matt Yglesias, Dara Lind and Jane Coaston go beyond the headlines to explain the news of everyday and tell the bigger picture of how we got here.
Announced on stage at The Lineup, Impeachment, Explained is a brand new podcast, hosted by Vox editor-at-large Ezra Klein, that will dig into the latest surrounding the House impeachment inquiry of President Donald Trump featuring deep conversations with Vox reporters and leading policy voices about what’s going on, why it matters, and where it leaves us now. Continuing to lean into weekend listening, Impeachment, Explained launches on October 19, with new episodes every Saturday.
The Weeds is the podcast for people who care about policy. Matt Yglesias, Dara Lind and Jane Coaston dig into the weeds on policy issues that matter to listeners across the country, from healthcare and housing to immigration and education. The Weeds offers in-depth policy conversations and interviews that help listeners understand the latest research on these issues, and perspectives from across the spectrum, to help them identify their own viewpoints.
You can always get the news of everyday, explained in a human way, from Sean Rameswaram and Today, Explained – one of the top five daily news podcasts and one of the most downloaded new podcasts last year. Listen and subscribe for free on Apple Podcasts.
Two New Seasons Of Land Of The Giants - Google With Dieter Bohn and Netflix with Peter Kafka and Rani Molla
In addition to the voices behind the Vox podcasts that will be essential to following the 2020 election and beyond, Arielle Duhaime-Ross, host of Reset, moderated a panel with the reporters from Recode and The Verge behind the Land of the Giants podcast to discuss podcasting, covering the FAANG companies, and a preview of what’s to come in future seasons of Land of the Giants.
Duhaime-Ross was joined on stage by Jason Del Rey, senior commerce correspondent at Recode and host of Land of the Giants: The Rise of Amazon (S01); Dieter Bohn, executive editor at The Verge and host of Land of the Giants Season 2, about Google; and Peter Kafka and Rani Molla, senior correspondent and data reporter at Recode, respectively, and hosts of Land of the Giants Season 3, about Netflix.
Kara Swisher and Scott Galloway took the stage in signature Recode red chairs for a live recording of Pivot. They talked about the likelihood that weWork has layoffs and declares bankruptcy, as well as Bill Gates’ ties to Jeffrey Epstein. Win: Elizabeth Warren intentionally submitted a Facebook political ad with false information on it to show the platform’s failures. Fail: the crumbling of Facebook’s cryptocurrency, Libra.
Also from the stage, Kara and Scott announced that Pivot will publish twice a week with new episodes every Tuesday and Thursday beginning later this year.