Vox Media networks Eater, New York Magazine, The Verge, Punch, and Gastropod were recognized today by The James Beard Foundation® with multiple Media Awards nominations recognizing work across written journalism, audio, and video. Eater received six nominations, including Mona Holmes for the Jonathan Gold Local Voice Award and Hannah Selinger for the MFK Fisher Distinguished Writing Award. New York and the Verge also received a nomination for their collaboration on the “Revolt of the Delivery Workers” September 13-26, 2021 issue cover story. Winners will be announced at the Media Awards ceremony in Chicago on Saturday, June 11.
The full slate of nominations for Vox Media is listed below.
- Feature Reporting, for “Inside the Secretive, Semi-Illicit, High Stakes World of WhatsApp Mango Importing” by Ahmed Ali Akbar
- Foodways, for “‘We’re Reclaiming Beer Because It’s Ours’” by James Bennett II
- Foodways, for “The American Dream in the Back of a Sunoco” by Trisha Gopal
- Jonathan Gold Local Voice Award, for “Growing Up on Los Angeles’s Black Barbecue,” “Downtown LA’s Once-Unstoppable Restaurant Scene Now Faces an Uncertain Future,” and “Tonight’s Dinner Should Be Fried Chicken From an LA Grocery Store” by Mona Holmes
- MFK Fisher Distinguished Writing Award, for “Life Was Not a Peach” by Hannah Selinger
- Visual Media—Short Form, for How 60,000 Metric Tons of Salt Are Harvested from One of the World’s Saltiest Lakes
- Audio Programming
New York Magazine and the Verge:
- Investigative Reporting, for “Revolt of the Delivery Workers” by Josh Dzieza
- Personal Essay, Long Form, for “It’s Time to Decolonize Wine” by Miguel de Leon
We’re also very proud to celebrate Punch founder and editor-in-chief Talia Baiocchi, who received a Restaurant and Professionals nomination for her book with Missy Robbins, Pasta: The Spirit and Craft of Italy’s Greatest Food.