This year at Cannes Lions, Vox Media’s leaders and voices will head to the south of France for the annual advertising festival, including Jim Bankoff, co-founder, chair, and CEO; Pam Wasserstein, president; and Ryan Pauley, chief revenue officer. Voices from our editorial brands and podcasts will also attend including Kara Swisher, host of On and Pivot podcasts; Scott Galloway, Pivot co-host; and Lindsay Peoples, editor-in-chief of The Cut. We’ll also have leaders from our award-winning brand studio including Heather Pieske, VP of creative at Vox Creative, Yosef Johnson, SVP and head of Vox Creative, Aaron Tabas, VP of content strategy and innovation, Renee Appelle, SVP of global partnerships and strategy and Kiana Moore, VP of Content Production at Vox Creative.
Monday, June 19, 2023
The Importance of Advertising in News Discussion with Kara Swisher | Invite-only
- Time: 11-12:30pm
- Speakers: Journalist, Kara Swisher, Vanessa Otero, CEO & founder of Ad Fontes Media, Adam Gearhart, Global CEO at Mindshare, Renee Appelle, SVP and Head of Partnerships & Strategy at Vox Media
- Location: Vox Media’s programming suite
- Session Description: In partnership with Ad Fontes Media we are excited to bring you an engaging and relevant discussion around the importance of advertising in news with a room full of carefully curated agency and brand leaders.
Fireside Chat Session: Brand Innovators Marketing Innovation Summit | Access via Brand Innovators required
- Time: 2pm
- Speakers: Renee Appelle will moderate a conversation with Emily Ketchen, global VP & chief marketing officer, Intelligent Devices Group & International Markets, Lenovo
- Location: Brand Innovators Beach Stage
- Session Description: Renee and Emily will engage in an indulging and high-level conversation surrounding Emily’s personal journey, philosophies, best practices, and thoughts on the future of marketing in the global tech space and how this will all directly impact other brands, businesses, and the global market.
Axios presents: Powering fandom: How tech and media brings athletes, fans and newsmakers together | RSVP here
- Time: 2:25-4pm
- Speakers: Jim Bankoff, co-founder, chair and CEO, Vox Media; Amrapali Gan, CEO, OnlyFans; Rashida Jones, president, MSNBC; Meredith Kopit Levien, president and CEO, The New York Times Company; Jim Lanzone, CEO, Yahoo; with hosts Sara Fischer, Axios senior media reporter, and Kerry Flynn, media deals reporter,
- Location: Stagwell Sport Beach
- Session Description: Connections between creators and fans have become a leading priority across media, pushing industry leaders to create safer digital spaces that foster those connections. Join Axios on Stagwell Sport Beach and hear from experts on how these relationships impact media expansions and the strategies to keep fans connected to the content they love most.
Tuesday, June 20, 2023
Sustainability in the ad industry and what our consumers really think with Vox Media, Assembly, Scope3 hosted by AdNet Zero | Cannes Lions badge required
- Time: 12-12:30pm
- Speakers: Aaron Tabas, VP of content strategy and innovation at Vox Media; Anne Coghlan, co-founder and COO of Scope3; Valerie Davis, CEO of Assembly, with Alex d’Albertson, global director of AdNetZero, as the host
- Location: Responsibility Hall, Palais des Festival (Debussy Foyer)
- About: Stop by the ANZ Zone to hear representatives from Ad Net Zero, Vox Media, Assembly and Scope3 announce a first-of-its-kind research study from Vox Media and Assembly that uncovers the impact on consumer behavior when they are educated on the sustainability practices (or lack thereof) in the advertising industry. This announcement will also highlight exciting new innovations, initiatives and insights from all participants.
WPP Stream Island Speaking Session | Invite-only
- Time: 1-3:30pm (Session time at 3:10pm)
- Speakers: Meredith Kopit Levien, CEO of The New York Times, and Kara Swisher
- Location: WPP Stream Island
- About: Kara will be interviewing Kopit Levien on WPP’s exclusive Stream Island. The conversation will bring together two industry experts and journalism prowess for an exciting conversation around journalism and the role of the media.
Content: Different lengths powering purpose in different ways at Publicis CreativeX suite | Access via Publicis
- Time: 5-7pm
- Speakers: Yosef Johnson, head of Vox Creative; Jeanine Wright, COO of Wondery; Mariusz Urbanczyk, chief client officer of Global Production at Publicis; Alim Mukhida, director of strategic accounts at CreativeX; Jonathan Nel, global business lead of Skin Health at Haleon; with Linda Fitzsimmons, president, pGSK NA, Power of One Solution at Publicis, as moderator.
- Location: Publicis’ CreativeX Suite - Villa Bernard, 35 Boulevard de la Croisette
- About: Videos over 15 minutes account for 50% of all video engagement, but only 8% of all video content produced. Therefore, long-form video is an underused format for driving engagement. So, when, and why would a form of content play out better? Panelists will cite examples of long or short that helped brands to powerfully support their values and purpose. How does AI play into this space and assist us in producing relevant, and effective content.
Vox Media & Black Glass Happy Hour: Cocktails and Convo With Kara Swisher | Invite-only
- Time: 6:00-7:30pm
- Speaker: Kara Swisher
- Location: Vox Media’s programming suite
- Session Description: This is an exciting and engaging event amongst industry leaders from brands like Google, NBC Universal, H&R Block, Reckitt, Lenovo, ABI, and with renowned tech journalist, Kara Swisher! This happy hour will bring together a room of powerhouse intellectuals to join Kara Swisher for cocktails and conversation around the topic of how tech is shaping the future of creativity and culture.
Wednesday, June 21, 2023
Pass the Mic with Jameela Jamil and Lindsay Peoples | Invite-only
- Time: 11am - 12:30pm
- Speakers: Jameela Jamil, actress and host of the podcast I Weigh and Lindsay Peoples, editor-in-chief of the Cut
- Location: Advertising Week NY Rooftop (67 La Croisette)
- Session description: Pass the Mic is SXM Media’s franchise series showcasing women leaders’ career/personal journeys centered around the idea of “passing the mic” to get more women in audio and sharing their stories. Join Jameela Jamil and Lindsay Peoples as they discuss Jameela’s podcast, I Weigh, and how she is using it to help find her voice and pass the mic to others.
Pivot Live Mainstage at Cannes Lions | Cannes Lions badge needed
- Time: 4:45-5:30pm
- Speakers: Scott Galloway, Kara Swisher
- Location: Debussy Theater, Palais 1
- Session description: Journalist Kara Swisher and NYU Stern marketing professor Scott Galloway head to Cannes for a live taping of their popular podcast, Pivot.
- Questions this session will answer: What are the biggest tech and business stories this week? What trends should the business and advertising communities be paying attention to? What broader implications do they have for the future?
Thursday, June 22, 2023
Meet and Greet with The Cut’s Lindsay Peoples | Invite-only
- Time: 10-11am
- Speakers: Lindsay Peoples, editor-in-chief of the Cut
- Location: Vox Media’s programming suite
- Session description: Join The Cut’s EIC and force in the fashion, culture and social media space, Lindsay Peoples for coffee and light conversation.
Friday, June 23, 2023
Creatives on The Terrace with Cannes Lions: Google, Pereira O’Dell, Vox Media | Cannes Lions badge needed
- Time: 1:45-2:30 pm
- Speakers: VP of Creative at Vox Creative, Heather Pieske, Creative Chairman at Pereira O’Dell, PJ Pereira, Vice President, Head of Global Brand Creative at Google Brand Studio, Jonathan Johnsongriffin, with Head of Content at LIONS Intelligence, Lucy Aitken as moderator
- Location: Terrace Stage, The Terrace
- Session description: Join some of the most influential creatives in the world as they share their insider tips on the tools, tricks and processes they rely on. Dive into topics like emerging trends, brand differentiation, customer engagement and talent initiatives. Discover strategies for measuring creative performance and demonstrating ROI to propel the business forward. Learn how to incorporate creative thinking into your work to achieve new levels of success